I first heard about this show when my Pinterest feed was inundated with promotional images that looked intriguing (Thanks Mary!). Then, some close friends recommended WCTH, and it was obvious that it was meant to be.
After falling deeply and irrevocably in love with basically everything about the show, I decided that I ought to read the book that inspired it: "When Calls the Heart," by Janette Oke. And that was just sorta...meh. More later.
The TV Show
Elizabeth charms most everyone in Coal Valley, except Constable Jack Thornton (Daniel Lissing) who believes Thatcher's wealthy father has doomed the lawman's career by insisting he be assigned in town to protect the shipping magnate's daughter. Living in a 19th century coal town, Elizabeth will have to learn the ways of the frontier if she wishes to thrive in the rural west on her own. (From Amazon)
My Rating: 5/5
Here are all the things I love about WCTH:
- It's historical romance that is wholesome and refreshing to watch.
- Every single episode is filled with tear-jerking moments, yet also with scenes that make you squeal for joy. Watching this show can make me rather exuberant.
- There are so. many. good. lines that make my writerly side very happy indeed.
- The plot makes you want to keep on watching, episode after episode.
- The scenery is gorgeous. And it's Canadian.
- There is a very well cast, diverse, interesting, WONDERFUL set of supporting characters, from the lovable to the not-so-lovable.
- And now we can talk about Jack and Elizabeth.
- Jack is a mountie...which means that he wears red and is brave and rides a horse and is humble and noble and kind and caring and has a smile that lights up his whole face. He also has a hilarious sense of humor and he can PAINT AND DRAW! He is basically perfect and we'll just enjoy this for a minute shall we?
I admit: someday I want to marry him. Shameless confession.
What did I tell you?
You thought I was a perfectly harmless being who does not get obsessed with mounties and the like?
YOU WERE WRONG.
- Elizabeth is a great character because she is nowhere near perfect - she actually has a lot of flaws. She has a tendency to overreact. She exaggerates. She is a bit of a dramatist. She can't cook. But she also sees the best in everybody. She can't not help people. She has a genuinely sweet, adorable, wonderful nature.
- And Jack + Elizabeth? I haven't even started. They are so, so, so, sooooooo MEANT TO BE! I CANNOT get over how perfect they are for each other. They have shared so many moments that are way to "awwwwwww" for me to describe. They have a great relationship - they went from disliking each other to accepting each other to loving each other. Their lines are always spot on, by turns meaningful, funny, or heartfelt. It is so much fun to watch their romance develop, while still staying clean and healthy. I JUST LOVE THEM SO MUCH THAT IT'S PROBABLY DRIVING YOU CRAZY.
I didn't approve of Elizabeth's immediate attraction to Wynn. I didn't approve of how complacent he was. I tried desperately to reconcile the characters on the page with those on the screen - I suppose that is the pitfall of watching before reading. And I'm sorry, but I cannot approve a character named "Wynn Delaney", especially compared to "Jack Thornton".
But I feel horridly guilty for criticizing the book, because if it hadn't been written then the show would never have existed.
No doubt I'll be ashamed of writing something like this in a few years time. But for now - I'm a Hearty till my dying day.